Friday, April 16, 2010

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables



I know that this is a little early, but its arrival is eminent and I like to be prepared. I also know that it's a little dramatic, but hey that's life. It is extreme--no one is dead. But the students were supposed to leave tomorrow morning before an act of God kept them in our company for an indeterminate period of time, and I am not looking forward to it--that is the leaving part. I went down this morning for breakfast and the tables were empty. The students were all asleep in their beds in their own rooms. In most places this wouldn't be a strange sight, but before yesterday, there was always someone at these tables, studying, laughing, and singing "We're Not Gonna Take It" in preparation for finals. But this morning I was greeted by silence.

Last night, I saw 39 Steps. It was fantastic, so funny and just perfect. The only thing it wasn't was Les Mis. I love Les Mis. I went on Monday with Eliza and I have been singing/listening to the songs since, it was seriously affecting my Shakespeare studying. A bunch of people went last night, and I was very, very close to going with them. Then I decided that it might be a little excessive to see Les Mis twice in one week... so rather I enjoyed 39 Steps, and also Richard Hanney and his rather attractive pencil moustache.



Which is for the better really, because Leslie and Anna waited at the stagedoor to meet Barricade Boy, a.k.a. Enjolras, a.k.a. The Boy of my Dreams; and they said he was a jerk, he wouldn't even take a picture with them. However, I didn't witness this for myself so I can still believe him to be the perfect man, which he is. As Laura Marostica said, it's not just that he's good looking, which he is. And it's not just that he's a great singer, which he is, it's that he believes in what he stands for so strongly.



Do you hear the people sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment